The first Cornell Club was formed by Cornell University graduates in 1889. Today’s handsome 14-story Clubhouse is centrally located in midtown Manhattan at 6 East 44th Street, between Fifth & Madison Avenues. Formerly the offices of the Chicago Pneumatic Tube Corporation, the building was a gift to the University and was renovated by the firm of Gensler & Associates of San Francisco, CA. The Clubhouse opened its doors on December 1, 1989.
Just steps from Grand Central Terminal, Times Square, and Rockefeller Center and near shopping, theatres and major corporate offices, The Club offers Members and guests a prime location and first-class facilities.
A small group of Alumni form The Cornell Club of New York.
The Club rents rooms at the Royalton Apartment Hotel on West 44th Street.
1900 – 1939
The Club moves from the Royalton Apartment Hotel to 65 Park Avenue and then to Madison Avenue at 38th Street.
On its 50th anniversary, The Club moves uptown to the Hotel Barclay (now the Inter-Continental) at 48th Street.
The Club moves further uptown to 50th Street at 3rd Avenue.
The Club starts searching for a permanent home while temporarily relocating to first the Women’s National Headquarters and then to NYU’s Town Hall facility.
1985 – 1989
The Club finds its current home at 6 East 44th Street. After Cornell University acquires the building in 1986, a three year renovation is undertaken.
The Club opens its doors to Cornell Club Members at 6 East 44th Street.
The Club celebrates the 20th Anniversary of its current clubhouse and looks forward to future celebrations.